Edge Pro Inc. -- Sharpening Serrated Knives
Sharpening Serrated Knives
- Put felt marker on the flat side of the edge.
- Set the PIVOT as low as it will go.
- Use a 320 stone, and slide the stone across the knife.
- Set the PIVOT so the stone is making a cut, (the full width of the serration.)
- [ If you are using an Apex, you may need a lower angle than you can set. For this, slide a piece of cardboard under the KNIFE GUIDE. Let is stick out 1/8". Set the back of the knife on the cardboard. This will tilt the blade and give you the lower angle you need.]
- Make a light pass down the blade and make sure the stone is cutting the full width of the serration.
- If needed, reset the pivot. Turn the knife so the points are pointing up into a good light. You will see shiny spots on the pips of the serrations.
- Continue sharpening until the shiny spots begin to disappear.
- Stop sharpening before you get any burr on the tips.
- Finish by running a ceramic hone through each serration to remove any burr in the serrations.